Saint Mary’s Church

The façade of the Church of Saint Mary
Click on the image to enlarge

This ancient Church, which dates from the XVth century, is situated along the homonym street, now Via Matteotti. The building, whose façade originally faced Northward, is now completely different compared to the past. In fact, around the year 1520, during the Farneses’ Dukedom, the main entry to the church was realised in Via di Santa Maria (Eastward), a new street realised by Pier Luigi Farnese junior. Today, we can admire the building as it appears after the restoration realised from the year 1736 to the year 1744, thanks to Father Pietro Amari.

Interior of the Church of St Mary

There is a beautiful fresco with the image of the so-called Madonna of the Rose, whose author is unknown; however, this is probably one of the primitive sacred images revered in the Church.

Madonna of the Coroncina (rosary)

It is also worthwhile noticing the restored wooden statue of the Madonna della Coroncina (Madonna of the Rosary, about 1736); a wooden Ecce Homo dated 1700 and an oil painting on wall by S. Cannucciari with the Crucifixion (1897).